Saturday 10 November 2012

Drink Real Ale

Last night I went on our monthly 'Ale Trail' trip. It was a trip with a difference though as Andy G  had booked a coach and invited around twenty others to join us. We were supposed to be visiting the Glastonbury Ales Brewery but around a week ago they unfortunately had to cancel our tour due to their bottling plant not being installed in time.
So we were left with a coach booked but nowhere to go. I suggested that Andy G contact Andy J and see if  he could organise a trip the the Stocklinch Ales brewery instead. A few phone calls later and we had rearranged the first part of our evening.
We all met up in Wetherspoons in Chard at around 4.30pm, time for a quick one, before the coach arrived at 5pm. The festival was still on so we had chance to try some different ales. I went for the Coach House Brewing Co's Gunpowder Mild at 3.8% which was quite pleasant but without the bitter aftertaste of last weeks Howling Wolf.
At five we were all on the coach and on our way to our first stop and the Stocklinch Ales venue. Kevin Jones was there to meet us when arrived around thirty minutes later and I was delighted to see that he had all four of his ales on for us. I jumped straight in for the Green Hopper at 4.2% as It had not been on last time we visited. It's brewed using green hops and it certainly had a very hoppy and bitter taste, very palatable !
I next went for Black Smock at 5.0% a dark beer that I'd really enjoyed last time.
All too soon it was 6.30pm and we had to get on our bus for the journey to the second half of our evening's entertainment and the Halfway House at Pitney.
We arrived at 7pm and were soon ensconced in the back room which we had booked previously. Checking the ales board I was a little disappointed at the selection but there were a couple that I'd not tried before.
I went first for Vale Pale Ale at 4.5% which was very much to my liking as a sharp tasting IPA.
This is what you call a cellar !
Next up was Topsail from the Bays Brewery, a beer I've tried many times and do quite enjoy. It was around now that the food arrived, I had chosen the three bean chili and as usual it was just right. My sixth beer of the evening was a new one for me with the Cotleigh Brewery's Dark Wing, a very dark/deep red ale at 4.5% with a smooth and silky palate. Number seven was Butcombe Ale at 4.0% , a good session beer which was in tip-top condition. The last of the night before the coach arrived at 11pm was Teignworthy's Reel Ale again a good session beer at 4.0%.
A good time being had by all
This Say's it all !
Sometimes it's all just too much !
The Usual Suspects

No comments:

Post a Comment