Saturday 31 January 2015

Westhay NNR & Ham Wall

Today I headed up to the Somerset Levels with the aim of trying to connect with the Firecrest that's been around for most of the month. Due to a late night playing skittles, and losing in the first round of the knockout cup, I didn't get off to a very early start leaving home around 9:15am and arriving at Westhay just after 10am.
The bird has been frequenting London Drove and there are very good directions as to its likely location on the Somerset Ornithological website so it only took me a few minutes to find it.
Getting a decent photo took a little longer though.
Firecrest
Having seen and photoed it I carried on up the drove to the lake and added my second target species, Goosander.
Goosander
On the way back I came across this piece of woodland art depicting the Starlings that frequent the area in the winter months.

I headed back pausing for a few minutes at the north hide, where this Common Snipe was showing well.
Common Snipe
I then headed over to Ham Wall RSPB Reserve to get my third target for the day, Great White Egret. I was again lucky as It was quite easily seen from the second view point. I added a few year ticks here as well, with Reed Bunting, Song Thrush and Cetti's Warbler.
On the way back to the car park I was lucky enough to see a pair of Marsh Harriers quartering the reed bed.
Marsh Harrier
I added 8 species to my year list today and it now stands at 106 for the year to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment