Sunday 9 September 2012

Minehead Somerset CAMRA Beer Festival

Yesterday I and a few others went to the Somerset CAMRA's Beer Festival at Minehead. I had organised a minibus to take me and fourteen others from Tatworth and Chard to Bishop's Lydeard and the West Somerset Railway to catch the 10.25am Steam Train.
The train left on time and meandered through the Somerset countryside with us enjoying our first beers of the day. The buffet car was stocked with several bottled ales and Exmoor Ale on cask. I went for Glastonbury Ales and Lady of the Lake an amber ale at 4.2% with hints of vanilla and fruit.
We arrived in Minehead a few minutes late at 11.45am and immediately joined the long queue to get our glasses and tokens.
I had as usual made a list of the beers I wanted to try and headed off to get my first choice, Thornbridge's Sequoia at 4.5%. This was an American amber ale with hints of caramel,roasted hazelnuts and toffee and was very drinkable and a good choice to start the day.
Next up was Marble Ales Lagonda Trial 7 which was not in the program but was on the substitutions board. I suspected that this was the same ale that I had tried at the GBBF in London last month and it was. It was again absolute nectar and I already knew that it would probably be my Beer of the 'Fest.
The Marble Arch, Manchester

Marble Ales are fast becoming one of my favourite brewery's and I was lucky enough to visit the pub that is attached to the brewery back in March. I was under orders from my friend Andy J who couldn't attend this years 'fest due to other commitments to get a photo of our mate 'Dobber' drinking a pint of Marble Ales 'Dobber' so that was the next mission.
Dobber drinking Dobber

Back to the beers and my next choice was going to be Dark Star 'Kiwi' but it had been replaced so I went for the Partridge Best Bitter by the same brewery. It was a traditional best bitter at 4% and was an OK pint.
It was getting quite busy now so we found a quiet corner away from the bustle and a place to put our glasses and lean.
Beer number four was from our local brewery and the Windy at the Volunteer at Seavington, near Ilminster. This was a new beer called Hurricane, another IPA and very similar to the Lagonda but without the zesty citrus flavour but very good all the same. We later saw Colin the landlord and brewer from the 'Volly' and gave him some feedback on this new addition to his ale list.
Next was another new Somerset brewery and Devilfish. I had first tried this brewery's beers back in April at the Tucker's Maltings festival in Newton Abbot and this was another good brew. It was Apachi, another American pale ale at 5% and it was easy to see why it had won Beer of the Festival at Bath recently.
I was back to the Pale ales again with my sixth choice and Fubar from the Tiny Rebel brewery in Wales. It was though my least favourite of the day and the perfect impetus to get me onto some dark beers.
Beer number seven was from another new brewery for me and Angus Ales in Carnoustie in Scotland. As you would expect given their location all their ales have a golfing theme and I went for Driver Dark at 4.4% a full flavoured stout with roasted barley and chocolate malts.
I stayed with the dark side for beer number eight and the Hammerpot Brewery's Bottle Wreck Porter at 4.7%. This is a traditional black porter with chocolate,coffee and roast malt flavors, it was also a particular favourite amongst our crowd.
Trains and beer, what could be better !

My last festival beer was from the Mordue Brewery and their Northumbrian Blonde at 4.0%. It was a sweet and hoppy ale with a grapefruit and lemon aroma, but not very remarkable.
We always have a beer to take with us on the train home and I went back for my favourite and the one I voted for as Beer of the Festival, Lagonda Trial 7. We caught the train at 4.55pm and were back to be picked up by the minibus at 6.15pm.
Its been a long day !

Most of then got dropped off at The Cerdic in Chard for a meal before heading home. Not a great choice of beers here so I ended up with a Directors.
It had been a super day with great company and an excellent choice of ales. Roll on next year !





No comments:

Post a Comment