Sunday 24 February 2013

An American in Topsham

Another weekend on my own as Miriam is still in hospital. I had a couple of the usual suspects round on Friday night for a few beers


and some loud music so it was a later start than anticipated on the Saturday.
I headed down to Topsham stopping off at Aylesbeare Common on the way to see if any Dartford Warblers were around.
It was bitterly cold and a wasted stop as there was little evidence of any birds about. I arrived at Darts Farm around 10:15am and walked out to the fishing ponds where an American Wigeon had last been reported.
It didn't take me long to pick out this burly duck amongst his European cousins.

American Wigeon (Anas americana)
I then drove over to Bowling Green Marsh and walked out to the Goat Walk. The tide was a long way out but I did manage to add Grey Plover to my year list. Later I learnt from Birdguides that the long staying female Long-Tailed Duck that I saw on January 1st was seen from here, but she was not in evidence when I was present.
I now decided to head for home as the previous evenings entertainment was taking its toll.
Today(Sunday) I was pleased to see a Siskin on the bird feeders
Siskin(Carduelis spinus)


No comments:

Post a Comment