Sunday 3 February 2013

Changed Priorities

The first post for a few weeks as Miriam's health took a dip and as a consequence all my priorities changed overnight.Just before Christmas my employers very kindly allowed me to start working from home so that I could better care for her, so on the 15th of January I moved my 'office' to South Chard.
On the 19th however Miriam was suddenly taken very poorly and after many phone calls and visits from nurses and GP's it was decided that the best place for her was at the St. Margaret's Hospice in Yeovil where she would be more comfortable.
She remained there until the 28th and has since made a good recovery although she has no memory of the events that caused her to be hospitalised.
Her absence though allowed me to have a respite from her care and I took advantage when she was on the mend to have a days birding on the 'levels'.
I met up with Andy G around 10am at Ashcott Corner on the 26th, after visiting Mir in Yeovil. We walked out to Noah's Lake and spent half an hour in the hide. We soon found the two Black-Necked Grebes but could not locate the Pink Footed Goose or either of the Smew that were also supposed to present.
I did add Kingfisher to me year list however when one flew passed the hide.
We the walked over to Ham Wall but apart from a single male Marsh Harrier it was very quiet.
Our next stop was Greylake RSPB reserve and we were surprised at how many people were in the car park, mostly photographers. When we asked what they were waiting for it was to be told that a Brambling was visiting the 'staked-out' feeders.
We carried on to the hide where there were plenty of wild duck and Lapwings on view. Just in front of the hide we were also treated to a spot the snipe competition. It gave me the opportunity to try out my new camera, a Nikon Coolpix P510.
How many can you spot ?
We also added around 200 hundred Golden Plover to the days tally when something spooked them and they all took flight and circled round before disappearing out of view again.
We now decided to head for home but not before stopping off at the Halfway House at Pitney for a quick pint. We both had a Moor Brewery, Merlin's Magic before finally heading for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment