Saturday 6 September 2014

Somerset Levels and Local Patch

On the 30th August I managed to get out birding for the first time in months. Miriam was in hospital again and to give me a break from visiting, a friend was going to see her in the afternoon leaving me with the rest of the day to get out and then go to the hospital in the evening.
I decided to head up to the levels as two Curlew Sandpipers had been reported this week and its a bird I rarely get to see.
I arrived around 11:30 am, not too early as I'd been playing skittles the night before in the summer league at the club and got home late.
I walked out to Meare Heath and immediately saw the two Sandpipers feeding right in front of the path. As well as the Sandpipers I saw at least 4 Ruff, 2 Dunlin and 4 Great White Egrets.
Curlew Sandpiper & Ruff

Curlew Sandpiper

Great White Egrets(Back) Little Egrets(Front)

After this I walked further along the path to Noah's Lake to see the long staying Osprey. I got there just in time to see it flying around having just caught a fish and looking for somewhere to eat it.
Osprey


I only stayed around for about 2 hours as I was quite tired after my previous nights outing so headed home and got ready to go the hospital to visit Mir.
The next day I popped to my local patch as I knew some Yellow Wagtails had been seen recently and again I was lucky to see them straight away.





No comments:

Post a Comment