Saturday 2 June 2012

Brewer's Arms Beer Fest.

Last night myself and the usual suspects plus three others made our way over to South Petherton and the 18th Brewer's Arms Beer Festival. This is another great example of what a pub can be with a range of events planned for the Jubilee weekend.

As we were increased in number we had hired a Mini-Bus to take us and it duly arrived at my place at 7pm. After picking up the other six we were soon on our way and arrived in South Petherton around 7.45pm.
We went straight through the old coaching entrance to the paved beer garden and were delighted to see a full blackboard of around 25 ales on offer.
Unfortunately some of the beers were not on yet as it's a four day festival but there still enough of the Jubilee themed ales to temp our pallate. I started with our local brewery Yeovil Ales and Crown Imperial at 3.9%, the tasting notes said it should have a citrus aroma which I couldn't quite get but it was a good session beer to kick off with.
Next up was a new brewery for me and Goddards of the Isle of Wight's Jubilation at 4.6%, this had a nice malty flavour with a 'back of the throat zing'
Some of the beers were in the bar and after Andy J had been to get a Fullers Hope and Glory and told me that they had the Adnams Diamond Ale on in there I was off like a butchers dog. Adnams are my favourite brewers and I really enjoyed their Jubilee special ale at 4.1%.
Next on the list was Hop Back from Salisbury's Cherry Diamond at 4.2% which really did have a cherry aftertaste.
Another old favourite was next with RCH's Steam Diamond at 5.0%. The Weston S-Mare's Brewery really does turn out some good` beer's and this was amongst the groups favourites on the night.
High House Brewery from Newcastle was another new one for me and I went for Lizzies Dimples which after five pints was quite difficult to order !. It was a good slightly spicy ale at 4.0%.
The night was getting on and our Mini-Bus was due at midnight, but I still had time for another from yet again a new brewery for me with Kirby Lonsdale in Lancashire and Jubilee Stout at 5.5%. A good way to end what had been a cracking night with good beer and company.

No comments:

Post a Comment