Saturday 2 June 2012

Weston-Super-Mare WTW

I've taken a couple of days of work this week and yesterday around 11am I took myself off to Weston-Super-Mare Water Treatment Works (Nice I hear you say !)
The reason for visiting this most inviting of places was a long staying Great Reed Warbler, the continental cousin of our smaller Reed Warbler. I've seen these birds many times abroad but never in the UK.
I arrived around mid-day as the traffic on the M5 was quite heavy. I walked up to the bank overlooking the two UV pools where the bird has taken up residence.
There were two guys sat on bank with 'scopes and I was greeted with the usual "you should have been here 10 mins ago" as apparently the bird had been showing well !
They left shortly after and I continued to scan the reed bed although I could hear the bird calling with its loud raucous calls. My patience was soon rewarded with good views as it flew into a small willow on the bank.
Great Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus arundinaceus) 

The photo is pretty poor and I realised when I got home the settings were all wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment