Sunday 17 June 2012

The First Tatworth Beer Festival

On Friday evening myself and a couple of the usual suspects went to the first ever Tatworth Playing Fields Beer Festival. As it was held in the playing fields which is a 30 second walk from my back gate I was there at 4pm ready to get stuck in.
The beers chosen for the festival by Andy J, another of the usual suspects, were all champions,either nationally or locally.
I started with the Dark Star 'Espresso' at 4.2% , a black beer which has ground arabica coffee beans added to the brew to provide a rich coffee taste. The beer won World Speciality Ale award in 2009.
Next up was a Scottish beer, Cairngorm Black Gold at 4.4%. This is a stout with a very malty taste and molasses overtones. Its a very smooth and easily drinkable stout. Its a multi-award winning beer including SIBA Supreme Champion Beer of the Year.
The third beer was one I had tried a couple of years ago at the Great British Beer Festival when it was voted the Supreme Champion Beer of Britain and was Castle Rock's Harvest Pale at 3.8%. It's a blond beer brewed with American hops and as a result has a very 'hoppy' crisp taste.
I was now in the mood to enjoy the entertainment for the evening as the England v Sweden football match in Euro 2012 was about to start. I filled up in readiness with Oakleaf's 'I can't believe It's not Bitter' at 4.9%. This was not really to my taste as its a cask conditioned lager and although Its served at a 12degree temperature and has none of the usual lager chemical fizz, it still tastes a bit like lager !
Its another speciality beer award winner and was CAMRA champion beer in 2011
Next up was another old favourite with Yeovil Ales and Stargazer at 4.0%. This is a dark copper ale with a sweet hoppy bouquet.Another multi award winning beer and was Somerset CAMRA champion in 2007 amongst others.
The next beer was a late entry for the festival, but what a substitute with Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord' at 4.4% which has won CAMRA's beer of the year no less than four times.
Its a great beer with something for everyone with its malty,hoppy,fruity and spicy taste.
Last of the seven was Worthington's White Shield(5.6%) but in cask. Its a another multi award winner but usually for its bottled variety.Its a proper IPA with a smoky bouquet and a smooth texture.
As I was so close to home, a rare pleasure for a 'fest' I decided to have 'one for the road' and went for another Stargazer.
The festival was on for the Saturday as well but as I had my wife's 50th Birthday party to organise I gave it a miss, hopefully though there will be some left for the next England game on Tuesday evening !

No comments:

Post a Comment