Saturday 25 August 2012

Beer Tick, Bird Tick

Yesterday afternoon Andy G and I had planned to go down to Weymouth to try for the Woodchat Shrike at Wyke Regis. We left at 12.45pm but by the time we got to Axminster the heavens had opened and we decided to give it a miss and go to the pub instead.
We turned off at Raymond's Hill and went to the newly reopened Bottle Inn at Marshwood. They had three ales on with two of them from a new brewery for me Flack Manor in Romsey, Hampshire.
We both went for the Double Drop at 3.7% which was an amber bitter with slight smoky aftertaste. Whilst we were there I checked the Internet using the pubs free wi-fi and saw that the Spotted Redshank was still at Black Hole Marsh so we waited for the rain to ease off and headed over there.
We picked up the Spot Shank straight away along with at least 5 Common Sandpipers, 2 Green Sandpipers and 2 Ringed Plovers. There were also at least a dozen Dunlin and 2 Shelduck along with the usual Mallards, Coots and Moorhens. We then decided to call it a day as the weather was showing no signs of improving and headed home.
In the evening Andy and Nigel picked me up for our monthly 'Ale Trail' night out. We called round to pick up Matt and then set off for the White Lion in Broadwindsor.
This evening it was quite full and seemed to be a popular place for meals. The last time we had visited we had found the pub closed at around 10pm on a Thursday night so we were happy to see it open for business tonight. As is usual in this area its a Palmer's house and had two off their beers on, Copper and Best Bitter. I went for the Best while the others all tried the Copper.
We then moved on to our next port of call, The Shaves Cross Inn. The pub claims to have the oldest Skittle Alley in the country dating back to the 10th century and there can't be many pubs that advertise a helipad.
The ales on offer were two from Branscombe and a new one for me the Quay Brewery. I tried the Marshwood Vale at 4% but it wasn't in the best of 'nick'. We didn't stay too long and then went to the Bottle Inn again (for Andy and I anyway !) . This time I went for the Flack Catcher at 4.4% which was OK but not as good as the Double Drop which was my next choice (and my second of the day).
Last beer of the night was one I've tried several times, Bay's Devon Dumpling.





No comments:

Post a Comment