Sunday 5 August 2012

The Greatest Day

Another chance for me to experience the Olympic Games as I was off to Cardiff and the Men's Football Quarter Final. I had bought the ticket a few months ago in the hope that Team GB would qualify top of their group and so play in this match. They didn't let me down ! and were drawn against South Korea.
I left home around 2.15pm to drive to Bristol Temple Meads to catch the 4.21pm train. I had intended to go from Taunton but realised that the last train would terminate at Bristol so had to modify my plans. The traffic on the M5 was horrendous and I left the motorway early to drive up the A38 but the congestion was just as bad in Bristol so I ended up missing the 4.21pm and catching the 4.53 instead.
Once on the train it was so full that I had to stand the whole way. I arrived in Cardiff (along with several thousand others) around 5.45pm and found the the organisation for getting into the Millennium Stadium was just as efficient as I had experienced at the Rowing event earlier in the week.
The roof was shut and the noise in the Stadium was terrific with the match very nearly a sell out crowd.
Warm-Up
When the GB Team came out for the warm-up there was a huge roar and much Union Flag waving. There was a real party atmosphere with several Mexican waves.
Once the game started though the mood changed as the Koreans proved themselves to be much superior outfit and kept the ball well. The Koreans took the lead in the 29th minute with a powerful shot from the number nine Ji. The GB team were lucky to be awarded a penalty in the 36th minute and Aaron Ramsey stepped up to level with an unconvincing spot-kick. Shortly afterwards GB were awarded another penalty but this time Ramsey's weak shot straight at the 'keeper was saved easily and the teams went in at half-time equal.
The second half saw the GB team come into the game a bit more and the Koreans were on the back foot but they could not convert their possession into a goal. The second half was meandering to close when the GB coach Stuart Pearce introduced Ryan Giggs into the fray with a huge cheer from the crowd. Although he brought a calming presence to the midfield the game finished on 1-1 and we were faced with extra-time.
The extra time play produced few chances and again ended with the two teams locked at 1-1. We were now faced with penalties, a dread thought to the British supporters. We started well though with the first four penalties from both teams being confidently scored. When Daniel Sturridge of Chelsea walked up though I felt that he didn't look keen and I was proved to be right when he tamely shot at the 'keeper for an easy save. The Korean next up scored easily and it was all over.
Penalties
During the evening I had been listening to my small radio and taking in the amazing events that were unfolding at the Olympic Stadium and when the crowd heard that Jess Ennis, Greg Rutherford and Mo Farrah had all taken gold their was another huge outpouring of National fervour and most of us I think wished that we were at home watching that instead of where we were !
The organisation in getting us back to our correct trains was again superb and soon I was on my way home, Standing all the way again.
And that concluded my Olympic experience, one which I will never have again in this country but one which I will forever remember. Some of my enduring memories will be of the fantastic atmosphere, the Games Makers who carried out their duties with cheerful efficiency and my pride at the performances of the GB team.

No comments:

Post a Comment