Wednesday 15 August 2012

Tiger,Tiger Burning Bright.....

The early evening sunshine last night prompted me to make a visit to the Gravel Pits. There were the usual Coots on the East Lake with a couple of late Swallows skimming the water.
On the far bank were a small group of Mandarins and a single Green Sandpiper. A green Woodpecker called from a nearby tree but I couldn't locate it in the foliage.
As I walked into the reserve I flushed a large moth from the path and was delighted to see this Jersey Tiger Moth.
Jersey Tiger (Euplagia quadripunctaria)
The under wings flashed a brilliant orange as it flew to the other side of a ditch and settled. I then carried on up the path and had a brief view of a Jay and this Green Woodpecker.
Green Woodpecker(Picus viridis)
The rest of the walk was quite uneventful and I headed off home, stopping briefly on the bridge by the Creamery to see a couple of juvenile Grey Wagtails.

No comments:

Post a Comment