Saturday 28 April 2012

A Nightingale sang in.....

A early start this morning to [CENSORED] just south of Taunton for my annual Nightingale visit. This morning I was joined by my friends Paul and Aiden and I was pleased to hear a singing male almost as soon we arrived.
We made our way out to the scrub area that they favour and met another birder who was doing the BTO survey. The BTO last did a Nightingale population survey around 1999 and then I was one of the survey volunteers.
We learned from him that there were at least four singing birds in the area and it wasn't long before we had tracked one down and even managed a brief view(thanks to Aiden) as it belted out its song from the top of bush.
As we were listening its powerful song, we heard a Cuckoo calling.
After around an hour we decided to leave them in peace and made our way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment