Saturday 14 April 2012

Why do we do this ?

So after fretting all day about the Black Winged Stilt at Abbotsbury I made a 'snap' decision and drove down there after dinner.
I left home at 6pm and arrived at the swannery car park at 6.40pm. I scoped the wet meadow from the car park and could see a distant dot that was moving in a stilt like fashion. As I was the only one there I drove along the lane and parked up a bit closer.
It's that small dot, Honest !
It was too far away for a decent photo so I contented myself with distant views. This was my first Black-Winged Stilt in the UK since the famous 'Sammy' at Titchwell disappeared back in 2005 and was also a Dorset tick for me.
As I was due to be out later I couldn't stay long so I packed up and left at 7pm. I had driven for 1.1/2 hours for a 10 minute distant view of a bird I had seen many times before. Must be MAD !
As soon as I was home I was out of the door again and on my way to the Perry Street Club for the Pairs and Individual competition. I was not taking part but was there to support my team mates, Steve in the Individual and Rob and Pete in the pairs.
Steve was an also ran but Rob and Pete played very well and won the competition by 2 pins.
Ale on tonight was first Worthington Red Shield but by the end of night had changed to Fullers 'Chiswick' at 3.5% and a very 'hoppy' tasting beer

No comments:

Post a Comment