Monday 30 April 2012

An early evening visit to the Gravel Pits produced the usual fare on the East Lake. Around a dozen Canada Geese were grazing on the slopes when I arrived.The recent heavy rainfall had really done it's work and the water levels were as high as I've seen them this year. Also on the lake were 2 Mute Swans,2 Little Grebes and 6 Tufted Duck.
A look over the reserve revealed many Sand Martins flying low over the water, the first I've seen here this year, with a smaller number of Swallows mixed in.
Sand Martin
There were a pair of Reed Bunting's on either side of the track and a pair of Bullfinches. I also 'flushed' a Green Woodpecker which flew to nearby tree. There were only 2 Herring Gulls on the Quarry Lake.
As I walked around the reserve I could hear Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and Blackcap all singing at once. It wasn't long before the weather changed again and the rain started so I cut short my visit and headed for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment