Sunday 6 May 2012

Three Year Ticks.

A late morning visit to the Gravel Pits today. I had passed up a trip to Exmoor with the usual crowd as my other half and I are off to Bournemouth this afternoon to see The Osmonds (not my choice, promise).
As soon as I arrived I saw this Orange Tip Butterfly on the wing and managed to get a snap when it settled.
Orange Tip Butterfly
Garden Warbler
A walk past the East Lake revealed the usual array of ducks Coots and Moorhens. Onto the reserve and I soon heard at least three Reed Warblers calling. Further on and I picked out the song of a Garden Warbler which with a bit of scrambling through the undergrowth I managed to track down. Year tick number one. It was also good to hear it competing with a Blackcap and to compare songs.
Garden Warbler

Garden Warbler
Carrying on to the hide I sat for awhile watching several House & Sand Martins swooping over the lake when all of sudden they were joined by a Swift, my first of the year and year tick number two.



Whilst I was sat there I became aware of movement just below and was surprised to see this Sedge Warbler creeping through the reeds.
Sedge Warbler


Other species seen this visit included a pair of Bullfinches,a Great Spotted Woodpecker,Willow Warbler,Chiffchaff and this Long Tailed Tit.
Long Tailed Tit

No comments:

Post a Comment