Friday 18 May 2012

Ticking Again

An afternoons birding began first with a pub passport tick at the Ring O' Bells,Ashcott. I called in to get some lunch and as it's on the pub trail a sticker for my passport as well. I enjoyed a very large baguette and a pint of Bath Ales SPA at 3.7%. A golden ale with a hint of citrus.
Then it was onto Shapwick and a walk out to Noah's Lake. On the way the bushes seemed to be filled with Warblers and I heard Cetti's, Sedge and Blackcap. I also had a couple of Common Whitethroats.
Common Whitethroat
On arriving at Noah's Lake I could hear that the tower hide was full so I watched from outside and it wasn't long before I spied my quarry. An Osprey was hunting over the lake and it made several passes looking for its prey.
Osprey 
Also whilst I was there a Hobby flew past quite close with a large dragonfly in its talons. I the decided to walk over to Ham Wall RSPB Reserve and on the way back along the track I noticed that the two Great White Egrets had appeared while I was at the hide.
Grey Heron & Great White Egret
 Over at Ham Wall there was the constant sound of Bittern's 'Booming' but none were flying today. I also heard a Cuckoo in the distance. Later I heard it calling from somewhere quite close and managed to track it down and get a pretty poor snap. The light was becoming very gloomy and overcast by this time and as I had promised to be home by five I went back to the car park and home.
Cuckoo


No comments:

Post a Comment