Friday 30 March 2012

Axe Estuary Wetlands

This afternoon Miriam and I paid a visit to Black Hole Marsh,which is part of the Axe Estuary Wetlands.This is a good site for us as it has good wheelchair access to two of the hides meaning Miriam can enjoy the facilities as well.
We parked at the car park, which is situated through Seaton Cemetery and made the short walk to the Island Hide.There were plenty of Shelduck on view and also several Little Egrets which were engaged in territorial disputes and were constantly chasing each other around.
I was hoping for a Little Ringed Plover to be there as a few have passed through this week but I was unlucky.
We then moved onto the Field Studies Centre hide. Here were several Mallard groups including one family with eleven ducklings.
Whilst we were there a large Brown Rat disappeared under the building but too quick for me to get a photo. I did managed to get this Dunnock though.
I don't if anyone else has noticed but Dunnocks seem to be doing rather well. I nearly always have a pair in the garden and on a recent trip to Topsham counted at least five pairs in the lane to the Goatwalk.
We then drove around to the estuary and parked up for five minutes enjoying the spring sunshine.
A commotion behind me revealed a Carrion Crow trying to drive away a Raven which was nonchalantly walking around the field.
Around 3pm we decided to head back home and get the dinner ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment