Sunday 18 March 2012

Chard Junction Gravel Pits

This afternoon I paid a visit to the gravel Pits mainly to check if any migrants had arrived. On the east lake were the usual Canada Geese,Tufted Ducks,Coots and four Teal. A walk around the reserve showed a few signs of spring with Bumblebees on the wing and Primroses out in flower.
There was a flock of around forty Herring Gulls on one of the pits with a couple of Lesser Black Gulls and a single Common Gull. I couldn't see any signs of any returning Sand Martins though.
There was a couple of singing Chiffchaffs but there's no knowing whether they were migrants  or over wintering birds.
I quick look over the gravel works extension up the road produced a single Green Sandpiper. A Common Buzzard flew over much to the consternation of a couple of Ravens.
Last night Miriam and I went to the Cerdic in Chard. The Wetherspoons Real Ale Festival had started on Wednesday and I was looking forward to trying some new beers. I was really disappointed though  because out of the ten pumps on, two had the usual Ruddles and Abbot, one had Two Trees Perry Cider, two had Cottage Brewery beers which were not in the festival and two were not on yet. Of the remaining three I tried the three thirds for the price of a pint.I tried the Hydes Owd Oak at 3.5% , Brains Clock Tower at 4.3% and Hildens Scullion's Irish Ale at 4.6%. None of these was particularly inspiring but the Owd Oak was probably the best, so I tried a pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment